Weight Stigma Awareness Week (WSAW) is an annual online awareness event held the last week of September. This year the dates are 9/21-25 and the week will be divided up with each day focusing on a different community that experiences weight bias/weight stigma as well as marginalization. The theme for this year is Bias and Bullying: Weight Stigma in Diverse Communities
BEDA’s intent is to give a platform to people within these communities to discuss the lived experience – struggles, triumphs, questions, and recommendations for how BEDA can be of better support in relation to weight stigma, discrimination and bullying.
The week is bound to spark excellent conversation on all of BEDA’s social media channels – Facebook, Twitter, the BEDA website and the BEDA Hive. Each day will feature not only blog posts, but also interactive media opportunities with interviews, webinars and Tweetchats.
The schedule will feature leaders from the following communities discussing relevant topics related to:
• Monday – Communities of Color
• Tuesday – Children and Weight Based Bullying
• Wednesday – Transgender Challenges
• Thursday – Chronic Disease & Disability
• Friday – Weight Stigma in the Provider Community
We would love support in the following areas:
• Feedback to design a meaningful and informative format and connections with community leaders
• Organization wide promotion including social media, newsletters and bulletins (images, logo, fliers to be provided)
• Participants to ‘attend’ and interact in webinars or social media chats
• Bloggers to write about the intersection of race, culture and weight bias/stigma
If you are interested in supporting or participating in WSAW 2015, please contact Lizabeth Wesely-Casella at Lizabeth@bedaonline and you will be connected with the team leader for the day you are most interested in. If you are interested in general promotional support, we have a leader for that too!
Take some time to consider, in what ways does weight stigma contribute to diminishing the life you work so hard to build – and then join us!